Travel expert and author, Taj Bates, shares insider tips, fascinating insights and jaw-dropping surprises from the fun, food and frustrations she encountered during a recent trip to the Land of the Rising Sun.
- I mention getting food at 7-11. However, the convenience store I went to most of the time was Family Mart.
- When shopping for souvenirs, some shops take credit card, many others don't.
- 12:50 - The wealthy Shinto shrine I'm referring to is Fushimi Inari Taisha
- 16:45 - The wooden Buddhist temple on a hill is Kiyomizu-dera
- 17:35 - The Mt. Fuji route I'm talking about is the Hakone route. I went on a weekend; it's possibly less overcrowded on weekdays.
- 25:35 - Omotesandō is the name of the street modeled after the Champs-Élysées
- When riding the metro rail, as you buy a ticket at a digital kiosk, I highly suggest taking a photo of the kiosk screen when it shows the route for your trip. That way you’ll have a ‘photographic memory’ of the stations you have to transfer to and what time your trains will depart and arrive.
Note: Upon pressing play, the audio file may take a minute or so to download.